Construction projects are a breeding ground for disputes. Complex issues and risks can arise at any moment and need to be handled by experts. Whether the subject matter is a 300 million dollar development project, negotiating a river-walk construction joint venture dispute or sizing up a residential home improvement breach of contract claim, we have almost 40 years combined legal experience in construction litigation. Our client base spans nearly every type of participant in the construction process including public and private owners, sureties, general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, and suppliers.
Construction disputes are not always inevitable. With our experience, we can help you avoid potentially costly claims, payment disputes and project delays through timely and thoughtful legal guidance in the following areas.
- Planning the Project – We draft, analyze, and revise the project documents, especially documents being prepared for public bidding.
- Bids – We can bring a bid challenge on behalf of a contractor, or defend against bid challenges brought to overturn the award of a contract. This service can start with a formal letter prior to award, or an action in lieu of prerogative writ following award if needed.
- Liens – We can file a construction lien or municipal mechanics lien in New Jersey, or a mechanics lien or public improvement lien in New York. We can bring a lawsuit to enforce the lien or file for arbitration if required by law.
- Surety Bonds – We can prepare your notice of claim to the bonding company, or defend your company and the surety from incoming claims against the bond. We can file suit against the surety on behalf of claimants.
- Dispute Resolution – We have resolved many construction disputes without having to go to court, which normally entails negotiating a settlement agreement. Other alternatives to court include mediation or arbitration and liquidating agreements.
- Government – With our experience and our active Government Law practice, we provide timely advice to assist our clients navigating the changing landscape of local and state building and zoning restrictions, ensuring compliance with applicable environmental rules and regulations, and obtaining required local and regional land use board approvals.
However, if you find yourself in suit or should the need for litigation arise, we are experienced litigators in this arena and are prepared to represent you and your business as tireless, cost-effective advocates. We can represent you in any dispute arising from a construction project. Typical claims for us to bring on your behalf or to defend you against include, but are not limited to, alleged non-payment, delay damages, defective work/materials, consumer fraud, and failure to pay prevailing wages.